This table shows what you should do for each classday; all work should be completed before the start of class on the date for which it’s listed. To put it another way, tests are listed on the day they will be given and assignments on the day they are due.
|assignments for week nine|
|Monday, 10 February||Reading Part Two, Chapters 42–50
• Concentrate on chapters 42, 43 and especially 45. In chapters 42 and 43, what is your opinion of the advice that Quixote gives to Sancho? In chapter 45, do you agree or disagree with the judgements that Sancho makes?
Project Two was originally due today, and can be turned in today if you are done, but I know most of you will need more time.
|Tuesday, 11 February||Reading Part Two, Chapters 51–57
Note that the pilgrims referenced in these chapters are religious pilgrims, who would be traveling to visit a shrine of some sort.
• Pay most attention to chapter 54 and the conversation between Sancho and Ricote. What image of the moriscos emerges from their encounter?
Report The expulsion of the Moriscos from Spain
|Thursday, 13 February||Reading Part Two, Chapters 58–64 (read just the first few paragraphs of chapter 64, just through the end of the previous adventure)
• Do you find anything funny and / or ironic about the scene where Quixote tries to pull Sancho’s pants down?
• Why are the bodies hanging from the trees? What effect do you think this is supposed to have? Do you think it is working? Why or why not?
• What do you think of the episode of Claudia Jerómica? What is its role in the novel?
• Do you find anything funny and / or ironic about the scene at the end of chapter 60 with the people on the road to Barcelona?
|Friday, 14 February||Reading Part Two, Chapters 64–66
• How do you interpret these chapters in light of the various practices for dealing with mental illness and the nature of mental illness itself?