This table shows what you should do for each classday; all work should be completed before the start of class on the date for which it’s listed. To put it another way, tests are listed on the day they will be given and assignments on the day they are due.
|assignments for week three|
|Monday, 14 December||Reading Chapters 18–20
• What transformations occur in these chapters? Who performs them and why?
• Are there any events which you might expect to be transformed but which are not? Why do you think this is?
• What method does Sancho use to provide support or proof for ideas? Does this reveal anything?
• How does Sancho function as a writer (in the broadest sense) in these chapters?
Report Ferdinand de Saussure's concept of Signifier and Signified
|Tuesday, 15 December||Reading Chapters 21–23
• What transformations are performed on the shaving basin? How, why and by whom is it transformed?
• Where do we see reference to the oral transmission of knowledge?
• How is social class important in these chapters?
• Can social comment be found in the episode of the galley slaves?
• How does the madness of Cardenio differ from that of don Quixote?
Report The Picaresque Novel
Additional Reading selection from Lazarillo de Tormes
Report Oral and written traditions; as described by Walter Ong in his book Orality and Literacy.
|Thursday, 17 December||Reading Part One, Chapters 24–26
• Why do don Quixote and Cardenio come to blows?
• Why do Sancho and the goatherd come to blows?
• How do the differences between written and oral discourse affect events in chapter 26?
Report The pathetic fallacy in literature
|Friday, 18 December||Reading: Part One, Chapters 27–29
• Where do we see “writing” and “reading” (in the broadest senses) in these chapters?
• What literary genre is being referenced towards the end of today's reading?
• Why do characters dress as they do in these chapters and how can their mode of dress be seen in relation to the concept of identity?
Report Jacques Derrida's concept of Supplement
Report Digression in literature
|Vacation!||Winter Break starts after the end of the school day. But don't wait until the day before classes start up again to check the assignment for Monday of week four.|